Following merger of 2 Hotel giants: Star Wood Hotels and Marriott, the rewards programs started its integration in September 2016 as well. Now you can Transfer Points between SPG, Marriott Rewards, and Ritz-Carlton Rewards programs. Members can transfer points between both programs at a 1:3 ratio — each StarPoint will be equivalent to three Marriott points. Transferred points should appear within a few hours, and you can move points back and forth as many times as you’d like.
Linking accounts is useful for:
- Transferring points between the programs. It also resets the points expiration date:
SPG StarPoints 1 year after transfer
Marriott Point 2 years after transfer (Marriott Points Expiration Policy)
- Status Match between the programs
To transfer point start by linking rewards programs on Marriott site: http://members.marriott.com/link-accounts/, Select “SPG Members Start Here” and login into your SPG account
To transfer points between the programs (in this case from SPG to Marriott) perform the following:
- Log in in to your SPG Account
- Navigate to “Manage My account” / “Account Overview” and Select Redeem & Transfer points:
- Select “More Options”/”Transfer StarPoints to Reward Points”
- Enter the number of points you would like to transfer (in 1000 increment):
- The points get removed from your SPG account right away and will appear on Marriott Points account in the couple of hours (in my case it took about 30 min)
I suspect the transfer from Marriott Point to SPG StarPoints will take sthe same amount of time.