One of the the benefits of American Express Business Platinum card is Gold Status with Starwood Hotels, etc. (SPG). But because of Marriott and SPG merger you can link accounts in those two programs to match status across both programs, effectively giving you Gold status in Marriott rewards program. You can read more on how to link SPG and Marriott accounts in SPG Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Rewards Points Transfer and Status Match post.
Marriott Gold Status comes with a variety of Perks that can be found on Marriott Gold Elite Benefits page.
The most valuable ones : free breakfast and guaranteed late check out. The forum on flyer talk blog keep track of all domestic/international executive lounges open/closed/weekends statuses. Check it out before booking your Marriott reservation.
Following merger of 2 Hotel giants: Star Wood Hotels and Marriott, the rewards programs started its integration in September 2016 as well. Now you can Transfer Points between SPG, Marriott Rewards, and Ritz-Carlton Rewards programs. Members can transfer points between both programs at a 1:3 ratio — each StarPoint will be equivalent to three Marriott points. Transferred points should appear within a few hours, and you can move points back and forth as many times as you’d like.
Linking accounts is useful for:
- Transferring points between the programs. It also resets the points expiration date:
SPG StarPoints 1 year after transfer
Marriott Point 2 years after transfer (Marriott Points Expiration Policy)
- Status Match between the programs
To transfer point start by linking rewards programs on Marriott site: http://members.marriott.com/link-accounts/, Select “SPG Members Start Here” and login into your SPG account
To transfer points between the programs (in this case from SPG to Marriott) perform the following:
- Log in in to your SPG Account
- Navigate to “Manage My account” / “Account Overview” and Select Redeem & Transfer points:
- Select “More Options”/”Transfer StarPoints to Reward Points”
- Enter the number of points you would like to transfer (in 1000 increment):
- The points get removed from your SPG account right away and will appear on Marriott Points account in the couple of hours (in my case it took about 30 min)
I suspect the transfer from Marriott Point to SPG StarPoints will take sthe same amount of time.